Faculty of Science and Technology
Development and expansion of Science and Technology Education is a matter of greater social concern at national and international level and it represents the core of discussion among the Nepali community as well. Responsive to the community needs, Mid-western University strongly pursues the development of Science and Technology Education by the establishment and support to the Faculty of Science and Technology (FST).
The Faculty of Science and Technology is a young and dynamic Faculty, which aims to teach a diverse and successful portfolio of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The Faculty has been recently established with an emphasis on Computer Science and Information Technology. Located in Birendranagar Municipality, in the District of Surkhet, the Faculty is itself in a development phase and many technology related fields have been initiated.
The Faculty of Science and Technology exists for the main purpose of serving the nation by providing high quality research oriented Schools and departments and by offering study programs in various science and technology fields from Bachelor to Master's degree, and will soon become a driving force behind science and technology development in Nepal.
Through the advancement of education, research and scholarship, the Faculty aims at forming intellectually competent graduates who are practical and responsible persons, with a scientific and humanistic mind, and able to solve unknown problems with dedication, confidence, and ethics.
The Faculty promotes strong research and collaboration with professional bodies, industrial partners, governments, academic institutions, science foundations as well as national and international research institutes, so as to extend its impact to the region and at global level.
To meet the mission of Mid-western University, the Faculty has started the School of Science and Technology in the University premises in Birendranagar Municipality, in the District of Surkhet, Nepal.
The School of Science and Technology has adopted four years academic bachelor programs which are based on credit-semester system with continuous internal evaluation. Starting from the Academic Year 2012-2013, the School will run various programs at graduate and undergraduate level.
The School of Science and Technology aims to push ahead the frontiers of modern science and technology through learning, teaching and research, to meet the contemporary challenges in the scientific and technological fields for the overall advancement of the nation and to achieve academic excellence through hard work, critical thinking, and effective decision-making.
The School strives to become a Centre for Science and Technology development and education in Nepal, with an impact extending to the Asian region and at international level as well. The School seeks to provide international standard quality programs of undergraduate and graduate education, to be a research active Institute advancing the knowledge of science and technology, and to serve the overall community as an agent of technological innovation and educational advancement.
The School of Science and Technology is committed to promote academic excellence by creating and expanding a scientific culture in the society for the improvement of the quality of life of people. The School fosters the advancement of knowledge by generating innovative ideas and promoting the progress of research for the benefit of the overall community.
The School is determined to prepare competent and up-to-date scientific manpower, to promote scientific research projects in selected fields, attracts scholars in different areas by promoting linkages and coordination with national and international academic institutions, ministries and various stakeholders and expand collaborative exchange programs in science and technology.
The School of Science and Technology is engaged in reaching out to the community and expanding the academic offer of the Mid-western University in Science and Technology by:
- Creating a stimulating learning and academic environment through the establishment of research groups, supporting facilities for encouraging basic and applied researches in crucial areas of science and technology, setting up well-equipped laboratories, employing skilled human resources, and providing advisory services in science and technology to national and international agencies;
- Preparing socially and ethically responsible graduates, whose strength is their ability to work as a team with analytical and problem solving skills, decision-making ability, communication and practical competencies;
- Training and preparing high-skilled and scientifically oriented manpower of different levels to meet the requirements of the nation;
- Encouraging students to get involved in different activities which are relevant and make contributions to the society;
- Starting academic international programs for the effective training of human resources, implementing research projects, organizing joint seminars, workshops, conferences at all levels;
- Supporting dissemination of research findings by being actively engaged in organizing and participating in conferences, seminars, training courses, applied research projects and publishing articles on different media;
- Continuously adapting and developing study programs, curricula and introducing new subjects in science and technology to fit the changing environment;
- Constantly improving the academic standards of curricula and academic programs by cooperating with well reputed universities at regional and global levels;
- Encouraging interactive learning and teaching to make students able to think innovatively and creatively;
- Supporting faculty member development programs in both educational and technical areas;
Starting from the Academic Year 2012-2013, the School of Science and Technology runs the courses outlined below. However, the School remains committed to widen and diversify its academic offer by starting new academic programs leading to Master’s Degree in the near future
BSc – Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Botany, Zoology
BSC - Computer System & Information Technology