Midwestern University (MU) is an autonomous and public institution of higher learning with the mission to serve the people of Nepal and enrich the global learning community by extending the advantages of higher education.
Established by the Government of Nepal with a Parliament Act on June 17, 2010 A. D. under the concept of multi-university system, Midwestern University is a state supported institution, founded on land donated by the Government of Nepal. The constituent campuses of the University and the Central Administration Office are located in Birendranagar Municipality, in the District of Surkhet, Nepal.
Although Midwestern University is still in the making and has a long way to go before becoming fully operative, the University gathers a tremendous political support from the existing parties and above all enjoys wide enthusiastic participation and support of the local people. The establishment of Midwestern University represents the fulfillment of a cherished dream of the people of this area, who particularly showed an applaudable example through their contribution to a fundraising program geared up for the establishment of this University. Moreover, the University also enjoys a strong support from the existing campuses throughout the region: land, property, human resource, and students of the existing Tribhuvan University’s affiliated campuses in the region have been merged under this University.
Aware of these extraordinary and propitious circumstances, the University aims at promoting the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge for the overall welfare of the nation.
The Mission of Midwestern University can be articulated into four dimensions which define the University as a:
- A Centre of Academic Excellence that promotes quality education with the highest academic standards;
- A source for creation and dissemination of knowledge through teaching, research and creative inquiry;
- A powerful engine for promoting collective transformation, meaningful enhancement of the society, economic growth and sustainable development of the nation and the global learning community;
- A resource for community service and outreach, international initiative and cooperation .
Midwestern University strives to be a Centre of Academic Excellence in teaching and scholarship, at the service of the people of Nepal and the global learning community, by promoting a culture based on dedicated teaching, continuous learning, creativity and cutting-edge research, with the highest academic standards.
UNIVERSITY CORE VALUES
Midwestern University is a vibrant intellectual community which strives to shape the academic experience and curricular activities with attributes and skills that are associated with each core value, as well as to reflect them in its institutional policies and practices.
The University strongly encourages students, faculty, and staff to integrate and make these values effective in the very fabric of everyone’s lives for the overall enhancement of individuals and the well-being of society.
UNIVERSITY OVERARCHING GOALS
To achieve its mission of pursuing Academic Excellence in teaching, scholarship and research, Mid-western University has identified overarching goals that are timeless and enduring. The goals outlined below express the long-term commitment of the University towards the people of Nepal and the global learning community.
A. Teaching and Scholarship
- Promote a culture of teaching, scholarship and research among the local and international community by offering programs with the highest academic standards;
- Support higher education with a special focus in technical and applied sciences, and foster extensive use of information technology;
- Attract and retain a diverse faculty who are outstanding scholars and teachers, as well as an excellent and diverse staff who will provide owing support to faculty and students;
- Promote multi-disciplinary programs and encourage the faculties to work together for running cross-faculty and multi-disciplinary programs.
B. World-Class Education
- Expand the opportunity of higher education in the country by promoting programs that are designed to meet the needs of the students, the challenges of the new professions and the requirements of potential employers;
- Form skilled and qualified students that are prepared to assume responsible positions in our society and actively contribute to the national development.
C. Holistic Development
- Offer liberal education by enhancing flexibility and freedom in academic programs, foster learning experiences in an environment supportive of the holistic development of student’s personality, and nurture intellectual growth and commitment to responsibility and service;
- Enroll, educate, and graduate the most deserving student body possible and make it possible for promising Nepali students to pursue quality higher studies in the country without going overseas;
D. Job Oriented Programs
- Understanding that a major motivation for students to attend a university is the preparation for a future profession and progressive career, the University aims at preparing skilled and qualified students that are prepared to assume responsible positions in our society and actively contribute to the national development.
E. Research and Community Service
- Grounded on the University’s recognition of the importance of research and dissemination of its findings, the University strongly supports the expansion of knowledge through research and creative activities, in both fundamental and applied fields;
- Foster the application of such knowledge and promotes the access of the results of the applied research by the overall community;
- Strength the public engagement of the University in scholarship and research with local, national, and international communities;
F. International Cooperation and Intercultural Encounter
- Provide a pluralistic setting in which Nepalese of diverse backgrounds as well as individuals of other nationalities meet, study and work together, learning to value cooperation, tolerance and mutual support;
- Foster a vibrant academic environment which welcomes differences and demands respect for one-self and for others as a precondition for a open scientific dialogue;
- Sustain an intellectual atmosphere, where the diversity of faculty, staff and students represents the greatest asset of the University;
- Establishing a community of scholars and students where mutual understanding and wisdom can raise and flourish in the spirit of universally shared principles and dedication for best serving the common good.
Mid-western University has identified major directions for guiding its growth and further expansion in the coming years. Based on a need assessment of the University’s major internal and external stakeholders, MU has prepared a Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan points out overarching goals, specific objectives and strategic actions, to be implemented and achieved based on medium and long-term priorities. The major directions that will guide the development of the University over the next years can be summarized into the following eight the Goals:
- MU strives to enhance Academic Excellence across the University by sustaining teaching excellence and scholarship in all academic units;
- Promoting and strengthening learning and research activities in the field of Science and Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences, Management Studies and Educational Sciences, and in all relevant aspects of the contemporary society;
- Enhancing the educational standards of the University by implementing academic programs based on credit-semester system and strict quality control, providing the most suitable teacher-student ratio, introducing and applying the latest technological advancement in all academic activities;
- Expanding the academic offer in terms of graduate and undergraduate programs;
- fostering holistic development of students as conditions for academic and life success; nurturing intellectual growth and commitment to responsibility and service.
Faculty Excellence refers to the pursue of excellence in teaching and scholarship, as both aspects are critical components of faculty excellence. Effective teaching is a central responsibility of faculty, schools, departments, as well as a key component of each faculty member’s professional activity. Fostering faculty diversity and supporting the recruitment and retention of outstanding teaching faculty are the highest priorities for MU.
Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creativity
This Goal emphasizes the importance of raising the quality and stature of faculties, schools and department to a position of academic leadership and providing support for research, scholarship, and creativity in a careful, strategic, and cost-effective way. Meeting cost-effectiveness needs is a highly important aspect because of the high costs of research, the competitive environment for external support to research, and the financial pressures on areas with less potential for external funding.
Community Outreach and Public Engagement
Community outreach and public engagement refers to Mid-western University’s mission to serve the people of Mid-Western regions, of the country and the global learning community by providing quality higher education. This Goal refers to the proactive involvement of faculty, staff and students in a way that will produce a positive impact on the world outside the university, from the local to global communities. It subsumes a wide array of disparate programs and activities, formal and informal, in which university members make meaningful contributions to local, societal, and global issues (e.g., problems of environmental sustainability, health, and poverty), from participating in public discourse to pursuing applied research activities.
International Initiative and Cooperation
The international experience has the potentiality to become a distinguishing feature of a MU’s education, especially when combined with internship, exchange activities and other ways that MU students can do to ‘engage the world’ and encounter students from other culture. Fostering international cooperation with renowned universities and institutions will allow MU to meeting international quality standards and requirements in education, for the overall welfare of academic faculty and students. This will promote faculty mobility and students exchange, enable to cooperate in joint research projects, and enhance cultural awareness and sensitivity.
Enhancement of the University Experience for Students
Fostering the holistic development of students is a precondition for academic and life success. Thus, it requires to create and sustain a learning environment that is supportive of the overall development of student’s personality and competencies, and nurture intellectual growth and commitment to responsibility and service.
The University will heavily invest in the coming years to promote a student living-learning environment and to provide a various range of educational and co-curricular activities taking place outside the formal classroom-education.
University Growth and Infrastructures
This goal area refers to the processes and structures underlying the management, monitoring and allocation of important resources, which are crucial for the fulfillment of the University’s Mission. These domains are enabling conditions for achieving academic excellence and goals, and decisive for generating resources directed to the implementation of the University’s priorities. This Goal focuses on establishing a sound organizational structure and a rigorous, but flexible, management and administrative system that may promote and support academic excellence.
University Finance and Infrastructure
The area of the University’s endowment, financial welfare and infrastructure is very crucial for the future growth and expansion of Mid-western University. Given the ambitious aspirations of the University, the capacity to generate and preserve the resources necessary for the implementation of its objectives, as well as the adaptability and efficiency of organizational stewardship, will be fundamental over the next years.
Since its inception in 2010, in a short time-span Mid-western University has been able to meet several targets and accomplish outstanding achievements in a number of areas, thanks to the joint efforts and extraordinary dedication of its community members, various stakeholders and social actors.
- Established five Faculties, and relating Schools, in the area of Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Technology, Management Studies,Engineering and Education Science;
- Designed, developed and launched innovative academic programs in various disciplines, both at graduate and undergraduate level, following a semester system;
- Established MoU for collaboration and coordination with several Universities in the USA.
University Organization and Administration
- Established the overall organizational, administrative and managerial structure of the University;
- Formed major institutional decision-making bodies, constitution of thematic task forces, committees and commissions responsible for the development of policies and programs of the University;
- Appointed institutional and academic leaders;
- Set up and operated various administrative offices, centers and directorates;
- Incorporated existent faculty and staff members into MU structure, recruit academic and teaching faculty, hire and train technical and support staff;
- Prepared clear and detailed University Rules and Regulations for faculty, students and staff;
Community Outreach and International Cooperation
- Established outreach activities with community-based organizations, created links with stakeholders of industry and business fields, started cooperation with small and medium enterprises;
- Conducted consultations with renewed university and higher education institutions at national, regional and international level aiming to pursue collaborative teaching, research and mobility;
University Growth and Infrastructures
- Merged former TU Campuses, acquisition and incorporation of existent land, buildings, infrastructures and human resources (faculty, staff and students) ;
- Renovation and rehabilitation work of existent estates and buildings, ongoing equipment of the campus with necessary facilities;
- Established the Central Office in Birendranagar
Although the achievements mentioned above are highly significant, Midwestern University remains committed to continue enhancing and further developing the campus at all levels, and expanding its academic offer in undergraduate and graduate programs.
ACADEMIC MEMBERSHIP AND RECOGNITION
Mid-western University strongly encourages Faculty members and researchers to become inter-connected on global platforms for discussion, leadership, shared challenges and successes between leaders of Academic Institutions. The University firmly believes that participation in these networks is highly beneficial for the overall enhancement of the quality of higher education and for sharing knowledge and resources at decision-making levels.
In order to offer the opportunity to connect its academic staffs with other faculty professors from all over the world, the university pays great attention in becoming member of higher education associations of academic institutions.
Consistent with this belief, Midwestern University is currently carrying out consultations with different networks and associations of local and international Universities and plans to join them in the near future.
Midwestern University’s constituent campuses are located in Surkhet Campus, in Birendranagar and currently host the administrative offices and classrooms of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Technology, Management Studies and Education Science.
Midwestern University is working to properly equip the campuses with the appropriate facilities and instruments necessary for delivering courses and progressing in education. this section provides an overview of future plans that the University intends to implement on medium and long terms.
The University is working to establish the University Central Library which will host a collection of Nepalese and international books, English books, electronic journals, subscription volumes, journals and magazines specific to the areas taught at the MU. At present, libraries are set up in each faculty and house texts and reference books required for the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Technology, Management Studies and Educational Sciences.
The ICT Center is the heart beat of Mid-western University’s computer systems and it serves the overall computing needs of the campus community.
Computer laboratories are set up in all faculties and are well-equipped with Internet facilities.
Canteen and cafeteria
Fresh meals soon will be daily offered to faculties, staff and students.
For the well-rounded development of students, participation in the extra-curricular activities and sports by the students is encouraged. The University is working to equip the existing space with athletic fields and sport facilities, such as outdoor games like Basket Ball, Football, Table Tennis, and so on.
Equipment and service for students with special needs
The University is committed to equip the campuses with the proper facilities to allow ease of access for students with special needs.
Health Service Center
The University is planning to start a Health Service Centre soon inside its academic complex.